Wednesday, September 25, 2024

PLASTICS IN PROCESSED FOOD


 

 

 

Last year I experienced some crunchy, bitty-ness in a side dish at a restaurant. The pieces were too small to see in the dish, and I couldn’t go digging inside my mouth at the restaurant, but somehow they seemed non-organic, so I didn’t finish it. One’s tongue can identify even small bits of paper or fishbone easily. This seemed like something that didn’t belong.

 

A few months ago, I noticed similar bitty-ness while eating ravioli filled with artichoke and crab. It had come from a store. This time, I found the particle, a piece of plastic, shown flattened out in the accompanying photo. I can only speculate but suspect carelessness in preparing or filling the bags of crab or artichoke. Plastic is everywhere, as we all have learned.

 

These two incidents and others in the past, together with recent press about ultra-processed foods leading to increased cancer cases in younger individuals, convinced me to write something about it.

 

The message is this: If you wish to minimize your ingestion of unhealthy food additives, intentional or accidental, that have been associated with increased risk of cancer, it would be wise to avoid all processed foods. I think about children especially. 

 

The links below address cancer risk and foods, not plastic per se. I include a link to my blogpost on how to prevent obesity (some of it tongue-in-cheek)

 

 

     https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/242892/ultra-processed-foods-linked-increased-risk-cancer/


     https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/diet-and-cancer/food-controversies


http://james-channing-shaw.blogspot.com/2009/10/ways-to-combat-obesity.html 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment